How to Care for Your Himalayan Salt Lamp
Don't get daunted. It’s a simple and straight forward process and we’re here to show you the ropes!
First off, congratulations on your new salt lamp and investing in your health and wellness. For those who received it as a gift, congratulations on having such awesome friends/family.
Before we discuss caring for a salt lamp, let’s take a look at the 5 steps to setting up your brand new Himalayan salt lamp:
1) Remove the plastic packaging.
2) Screw your bulb into your UL dimmer cord making sure its screwed in firmly.
3) Insert the dimmer cord into the base of your salt lamp every so gently. Take a look at the image below for clarification.
How do I care for my Himalayan Salt Lamp?
- With their soft light, Himalayan Salt Lamps are designed to be left on continuously most of the day, for maximum benefit from their healing and energizing properties.
- Leaving your Himalayan Salt Lamp on will avoid any residual moisture build-up, especially in humid environments. If excess moisture does appear, place something underneath your Himalayan Salt Lamp to protect surfaces and turn your Salt Lamp on or leave it out in the sun to dry it out. Himalayan Salt Lamps need extra care in extremely humid environments.
- To remove dust, switch your Himalayan Salt Lamp off and wipe with a dry or damp cloth.
- For storage, remove the bulb and cord and store the Himalayan Salt Lamp in an airtight plastic bag to prevent moisture absorption.
- To remove the bulb, use your thumb and index finger to squeeze the metal springs on both sides and slide out, then gently release to prevent damaging the bulb. You can also purchase replacement bulb and switches.
- Taking care of your salt lamp is a simple task that requires minimal effort and really comes down to just giving it a lil' love.
Why is my Salt Lamp sweating, shedding or weeping? And how do I stop my Himalayan salt lamp from sweating?
The answer to this is pretty simple. You must keep it on and you must keep it warm.
Salt is Hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture. Salt Lamps absorb humidity moisture from the air, and when they are turned off they can Shed or “cry” if the weather is quite humid or if you live close to the beach or a lake. If you do need to have it turned off for a long period of time, please wrap in a plastic bag or cling wrap to prevent weeping. Or leave on a plate.
For extra precaution, you can remove the cord and bulb from within the lamp, in case of moisture builds up.
Are they hot to touch like a normal light bulb?
No, the lamp itself should only ever be slightly warm to the touch. If your lamp is too hot to touch you are most likely using the wrong size bulb & it should be changed. Only use 15 watt bulbs in the electrical cords provided.
How to prolong the life of your Himalayan Salt Lamp Bulbs:
Salt lamp bulbs have a life of around 1000 hours, so if left on continuously, they should last approximately 41 days. Unlike the incandescent light bulbs you might find in your ceiling that remains stationary and untouched throughout their life; salt lamps bulbs are prone to more movement and vibrations that can potentially reduce the life of the bulb.
So ideally your salt lamp should remain stationary and be placed somewhere it cannot be knocked easily.
Why are my bulbs blowing?
If you are having trouble with your salt lamp bulbs blowing a little too often, here are some things to consider:
- Make sure the bulb is screwed in firmly enough to touch both contacts. If it isn’t screwed in enough then it won’t work.
- Oils from your fingers can cause the bulbs to blow, so use a tissue when changing the bulb.
- Ensure the bulb is not touching the inside surface of the lamp. Do not push the bulb in too far and make sure it is straight.
- Try to leave the lamp stationary after turning it off and allow it to cool down before moving it, as a hot bulb is more prone to blowing than a cool one.
- If there is a large current drawing appliance on the same circuit that is switched on/off frequently, this can cause power spikes and/or surges which can blow a bulb. Consider another plug or power board with surge protection.
- Excessive vibrations from a radio or TV being too close. Not a big deal, but something to consider if you are consistently experiencing bulbs blowing excessively.
- Neglected salt lamps can ‘cry’ when barely used. If the residue settles on the bulb it can cause the bulb to blow. To avoid a sad lamp and therefore a sad bulb, please wrap the lamp in plastic when not in use for an extended period to avoid crying. This is more likely to happen in humid weather or if you live near the beach. We recommend always leaving the lamp on when you are home, off when you are not home and off and wrapped with the cord and bulb removed when you are going to be away and not using the lamp for several days.
It is important to remember that these instructions apply to 100% authentic salt lamps.
If your salt lamp never ever sweats, or chips or gets warm to the touch then it is most likely fake but that is another topic you can read about here: https://himalayantradingco.com/blogs/blog/7-signs-your-salt-lamp-is-fake
How Do You Know our Salt Is Authentic?
For 23 years, we have been the go-to company for Himalayan crystal salt worldwide. We are a USA based family owned company that does everything from mining, to manufacturing, importation and distribution. We take fanatical care of our salt, all the way from harvest in the Himalayas, to packaging at our Virginia processing center. From Pakistan to United States, you can feel good about your salt.
Our salt arrives to your door in its pristine raw and natural form, exactly as it was 250 million years ago. Containing over 84 natural elements essential to your health, whether you use it for cooking, for a relaxing bath soak, or to enhance your home, your body will recognize this salt as a healthy and beneficial force for health and well-being!
Our salt lamp products, when illuminated produce an awesomely soothing warm glow and a healthy dose of negative ions.
Himalayan Trading Co. stands 100% behind every product that we sell. If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, give us a call, or e-mail us and we’ll make it right with a replacement, or a refund.